Sport Recreation and Exercise Activities (SRE) are extremely popular and vitally important for Children and Youth growth and development.
Legal Parents, Guardians and/or Age of Majority Participants, 18 [Black’s Law Dictionary ]
- Sign Legal ‘Permission Slips’, which include Waiver and Release for ‘normal inherent, accidental, not-preventable risks’ and injuries that occur within the rules and ethical coaching and supervision conduct of SRE practice and games [Please review: Accidental, Not-Preventable SRE Injuries and understand the difference: http://www.cappaa.com/accidental-not-preventable-sport-recreation-and-exercise-injuries] [Please review: Accidental, Not-Preventable SRE Injuries and understand the difference: Not-accidental, Preventable SRE Injuries http://www.cappaa.com/not-accidental-preventable-childrens-sport-injuries]
- Sign for Coaches, Teachers, Supervisors and other persons to Coach and Supervise Children, Youth, and Age of Majority SRE Athletes
- Sign, prior to the encounter, Required Legal Permission for Doctors, Trainers and other trained persons to perform all Athletes examination and treatments
- Sign, prior to the encounter, appropriate Informed Consent for medical and surgical examination and treatments.
- The decision-making process in SRE health care can be paternalistic, autonomous, or shared. [Testoni D, Hornik CP, Smith PB, Benjamin DK, McKinney RE. Sports medicine and ethics. Am J Bioeth. 2013;13(10):4-12.]
Temporary, substitute, legal duty of care, safety, protection and care-giving supervision for Children, Youth and Age of Majority Athletes participating in SRE
- are transferred to Coaches, Teachers, Supervisors and other persons
- until all required Children, Youth and Age of Majority Athletes activities are concluded [Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 2011 (Public Law 111-320)] [Nicholas KNAPP, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, an Illinois not-for-profit corporation, and Rick Taylor, Defendants-Appellants. No. 96-3450. Decided: November 22, 19
- and until minor Children and Youth Athletes are returned to Legal Parents’ or Guardians’ legal care-giving, safety and protection. [Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act of 2011 (Public Law 111-320)]
SRE Doctors, Trainers, other SRE Health Care Providers Standard of Care
- Requires implementation of physical, emotional, sexual well-being, and protection and safety of all Athletes [Vaulted into Victims: Preventing Further Sexual Abuse in U.S. Olympic Sports Through Unionization and Improved Governance Marc Edelman 1 & Jennifer M. Pacella]
- Must use the degree of care and skill of the average health care provider, who practices the provider’s specialty available to the physician.
- Utilize reasonable, customary examination and treatments the SRE Doctors, Trainers and other SRE health care providers would customarily or typically do in similar circumstances. [Testoni D, Hornik CP, Smith PB, Benjamin DK, McKinney RE. Sports medicine and ethics. Am J Bioeth. 2013;13(10):4-12.]